The Ecclesiastes Church began its origin in the Old Testament . The Church experienced a New Foundation mandated by a statement as recorded in St. Matthews the 16th chapter, it says: "Upon this rock I will build my Church."
In August, 1956 thru a vision that was inspired by the Holy Spirit in Pastor James Bass, a country preacher on fire for the Master's work, a small mission was organized. The mission rapidly grew in numbers, and with God's direction and assurance, Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church was organized at 1532 S. Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois in September, 1956.
The first worship service was held on Sunday, September 16,1956 at 11:00a.m. under the leadership of Pastor Bass with only a few people present. Among them were Pastor Bass, his sister and brothers, and their families and friends. During the worship service, the first song sang was "We Are Soldiers." The first scripture read was the 23rd Psalms. There was no music, but the service was spirit-filled and eight souls were added to the Church. Pastor Bass appointed the first administrative staff, and an appeal was made for Mission enrollment, resulting in 16 out of 24 worshippers committing. After holding services for one month, 30 more members were added.
On Sunday, November 3,1956, a Council, moderated by the "late" Pastor Watts, was very helpful in the organizing of the Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church. In 1956, the first Revival was conducted by Pastor Chilis; and the first candidate for baptism was received. As God continued to bless, our membership continued to grow rapidly causing the Church to relocate to 1444 S. Pulaski Road, and then back to 1532 S. Pulaski Road. In 1962, after much fasting and praying, the Church moved to a new location at 700 S. Pulaski Road. After a fire damaged the church building in January, 1967, remodeling rendered a new sanctuary and the addition of a kitchen and dining area.
In 1963, at the height of the civil rights movement when Dr. M. L King wanted to come to Chicago and speak, the only church he could speak at in light of the concern was Mt. Olive M. B. Church, then located at 700 South Pulaski Road. It was Pastor Bass of Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church and Pastor James of Greater Rock M. B. Church who stepped out on faith and picked Dr. M. L King up from the airport and paid for a trailer with a speaker system, which allowed him to speak on the West Side from the back of a truck in a lot located at Pulaski Road and Arthington Street.
On February 13,1980, the Church legally changed its name to Second Mt Olive Missionary Baptist Church. To accommodate the Church's continued growth, on Sunday, October 5,1980 the Mt. Olive Family marched into our present Church home located at 5729-43 West Chicago Avenue.
The New Millennium was a turning point in the ministry of Mt Olive, and in 2000, after much prayer and with God's guidance and direction, Pastor Bass began a search for a Joshua to take the people over into the Promised Land. In October 2000, Pastor Bass named his successor and our Joshua, Rev. Kenneth Giles, an Associate Minister of Logos Baptist Assembly, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Donald L Parson.
In 2001, the Church was blessed to celebrate its 45th Year Anniversary and Retirement Celebration for Pastor James Bass.
On Sunday, February 24, 2002, Rev. Kenneth Giles was officially installed as Pastor of Second Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church after a unanimous vote, becoming the 2nd Pastor of Second Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church. At that time, Pastor Bass was elevated to the esteemed status of Pastor Emeritus.
Under Pastor Giles' leadership, teaching and preaching, the membership increased numerically as well as spiritually, and is affectionately known as the "Mighty" Mt Olive Missionary Baptist Church. Pastor Giles established a Clothing Distribution Ministry, an Annual Thanksgiving Dinner for the Austin community, an Annual Christmas Basket and Gift Ministry. Mt. Olive was host of Mayor Daley's Summer Nutrition Enrichment Program for the Austin community in cooperation with the City of Chicago in the Summer of 2004.
In 2011, Pastor Giles and the Second Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church undertook an aggressive rehab project with a vision to renovate the entire building and return to its past splendor with a new touch. This endeavor enabled Mt. Olive to be an integral part of the community and the West Side. The renovation included the total redesign of the church main lobby, second floor lobby, main sanctuary, children's church/multi- purpose room, banquet room, basement, classrooms, all bathrooms as well as the installation of ADA bathrooms, upgraded plumbing and wiring.
During the entire month of November 2011, the "Mighty" Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church celebrated its 55th Church Anniversary and Rededication with a ribbon Cutting Ceremony, Banquet, Reunion Concert and Homecoming for past Members, Friends, Sons and Daughters of Mt. Olive.
Mt. Olive has been a beacon of light, standing on the West Side of Chicago for 67 years, and is excited about God's unrelenting blessings as they continue to grow and expand. To date, Second Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church has equipped 14 of their own ministers, who were blessed to organize their own churches, and many others who were called to pastor congregations. We pray that God will continue to do great things for us in the years to come and that the Mighty Mt. Olive will become an icon in His ministry.
We are praising God for Fellowship, Growth and Vision For 67 Years Laboring In The Vineyard For A Harvest Of Souls. We are grateful for this Ministry of Excellence ~ Serving God and His People.
To God Be The Glory!!!
Copyright © 2024 Second Mt Olive Missionary Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.